Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Topics for January 2011

I know you're wondering what's next? With this week being our last week together, we'll have a two month break until we see each other next. So I wanted to give you a heads up on the topics that we'll be covering starting mid January:

Bellydance Basics
In January 2011, we will start off the year with some good drilling of the foundation movements with focus on improvisation. My goal for this class is cardio, so we will be continuously moving!

Tribal Fusion Bellydance
I have said this before, and I'll say it again: "It's good to know your roots." I've also said: "In order to move forward, some times it's good to look back." This past year, I've grown to love finger cymbal playing. My most recent inspiration is the Jamila Salimpour bellydance format, which is essentially the roots of tribal bellydance in America. Coincidentally, the Jamila format also includes a heavy dose of finger cymbal patterns which we will use. Get ready to get "old school" with your finger cymbals.

I will have pairs of Saroyan finger cymbals (zills) for sale and for borrowing in class. If you would like to purchase them from a website, please let me know first before purchasing. Quality varies between makers!


You can learn about Jamila Salimpour from these two articles:
http://www.suhailainternational.com/JamilaSpeechICMED1997May.pdf
http://www.suhailainternational.com/FromManyTribesOriginsofBalAnat.pdf

Check back on this blog for registration information!
With hips of fury,
Lily
www.LilyBellydance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment